Tuesday, April 3, 2012

You are my child, without a doubt

Dear Daughter,

There is never a doubt in my mind that the apple does not fall far from the tree, and it makes me laugh, a lot. I know the thought that you are so much like me might make you ill, however, it is pure entertainment for me.

You see, not many 13 year old females can actively discuss why Prokofiev is repetitive, or get giddy when Bernstein comes up on Pandora. Or, for that matter, discuss the relevance of Greek Mythology in the modern age. Oh, wait, I used to think about those things, but unlike you, I did not have a mother that listened or cared. That is why I laugh, it is fun for me, I selfishly adore every second of you ridiculous banter on why you hate Rossini or why Norse mythology is not as much fun as Celtic.

I adore that you enjoy vintage clothes, I used to, and I also know how silly it can make you look, which  is why I stop you sometimes from leaving the house in whatever crazy get-up you have on. It is not because I am trying to stifle you, but protect you. Of course your beautiful body can wear anything and make it look good, and you also have the ability to carry yourself with such confidence!!

You are my child and I love you, I hope, though I can spare you some of the heartache I experienced. I also know, you need to experience the pain and sorrow to appreciate the joy. We have so many years left on our journey as mother and child, it gives me peace to know that if you are like me, you will be happy and much blessed.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment